Fellowships Previously Held:
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), United Nations – Veterinary School, Kabete – Two years’ (1969-1971) course on Animal Diseases.
- Overseas Development Administration (ODA), British Council – Manchester/London University – Laboratory Technology/Electronics Engineering & Instrumentation (1978-1979)
- World Health Organization (WHO) – Universities – Glasgow and Cambridge. London School of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene – Nuclear Methods. Parasitology – Entonology and Immunodiagnostics including novel drug testing (1984)
- DANIDA/WHO: Malacological Epidemiology/Training – Kenya (advanced certificate course 1986)
- Edna McConnell Clark Foundation – New York – USA: University of Glasgow. B.Sc. (Hons.) and M.Sc. in Applied Parasitology (1989-1990)
- DANIDA: Training on Population Genetics (PhD. Training)
- French Government (IRD) – Postdoctoral Training – Louis Pasteur Institue-Montpellier University,France (2002)
- Otieno, M. F.; Suleiman, M.A.; MacPherson, C. N. L.; Onyango, J. and Else, J. G. (1984). Experimental establishment of Taenia saginata in the Orive baboons (Papio anubis). International Journal of Primatology.
- Sturrock, R. f.: Otieno, M. F.; James e. R.; and Webbe, G. (1985). A note on the efficacy of anew class of compounds, 9-acrinaone-Acridnone-Hydrazones, against Schistosomiasis mansoni in primate, the baboon. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 79: 129-131.
- Sturrock, R. F. ; Otieno M.F.; Tarara, R.; Kimani, R.; Harrison, R. and
- Else, J. G. (1984). Experimental Schistosoma mansoni infection in vervet monkey (Cercopithecus aethiops) in Kenya. A susceptibility to a primary infection. Journal of Helminthology 58: 79-92.
- James, E.K.; Otieno, M. F.; Tarara, R.; Kimani, R.; Harrison, R. and Else, J. G. (1986). Partial protection of baboons against Schistosoma mansoni using radio attenuated Cryopreserved schistosomula. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical medicine and Hygiene 80 (3) 378-384.
- Wales a.; Fukomoto, S-I.; Otieno, M. F. and Kusel, J. R. (1993). Effects of Irrradiation on Surface Carbohydrates of larvae of Schistosoma masoni. Parasitology, 106: Vol.II.
- D. Boulanger, G.D.F. Reid, R.F. Sturrock, I. Wolowazuk, J. M. Balloul, D. Grezel, R.J. Piece, M.F. Otieno, S. Guerret, J. A. Grimaud, A. E. Butterworth and A. Capron (1991). Immunization of mice and baboons with the recombinant Sm 28 GST affects both work viability and fecundity after experimental infection with Schistosoma mansoni. Parasite Immunology 13: 473-490.
- M.F. Otieno (1999) –Ph.D. Thesis. The Parasite Compatibility, Morphmetrics and Population Genetics of the Genus Bulinus (Basommatophora: Planorbidae) at the Coastal and the Lake Victoria regions of Kenya.
- Ouma C, Keller CC, Opondo D, Were T., Otieno RO, Otieno M F, Orago AS, Ong’echa J M, Vulule JM, Ferrell RE, and DJ Perkins. (2006). Associationof Fcy receptor IIa (CD32) polymorphism with malarial anaemia and high-density parasitaemia in infants and young children. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. 74 (4): 573-577
- Justus S. Osero, Michael F. Otieno and Alloys S. S. Orago. Maternal use of Insecticide treated nets in the prevention of malaria among children under five years in Nyamira District, Kenya. The East African Medical Journal, October 2005. Vol. 82 No. 10
- Justus S. Osero, Michael F. Otieno and Alloys S. S. Orago. Role of child health clinics in promoting use of insecticide treated nets among children under five years in Nyamira District, Kenya. The East African Medical Journal, August 2006. Vol. 83 No. 8
- HSC- Head of State Commendation
- Was honored by President W.G.Bush Jr.(USA) work at Nyumbani Chilrens’ HIV/AIDS- Orphanage (Kenya)
- Honored by- Australians on HIV/AIDS serology ref. at Nyumbani Med. Centre.