Isabella is an Anaesthesiologist, a lecturer at Kenyatta University School of Medicine in Nairobi Kenya, a National Institute of Health (NIH) Global Health Fellow with the University of California Global Health institute (UCGHI, USA).
Isabella completed MBChB degree in 2009 and Master of Medicine in Anaesthesiology and Critical Care from Makerere University in 2014, where she excelled with the best dissertation.
She has also won several awards, the 2016 Media Award from a USA based Society of Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology, the 2014 National Institutes of Health award as a Post Doctoral Fellow in Global Health with University of California Global Health Institute, and 2013 World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists Research Award.
Isabella is passionate about advancing healthcare standards to save lives and has authored several publications aimed towards improving access to safe anaesthesia in developing countries.
Area of Specialization
- Anaesthesiology, Global Health
Anaesthesiology, Global Health, Neurophysiology
Dr. Isabella Epiu, 6th All Africa Anaesthesia Conference,Key bottlenecks to the provision of safe obstetric anaesthesia in low-income countries; a survey of 64 hospitals in Uganda, Abuja, Nigeria 20-24th November 2017
- Dr. Isabella Epiu,Theinternational Health Conference St. Hugh College, Oxford University Oxford, UK 28th June to 1st July 2017
- Dr. Isabella Epiu,International Anesthesia Research Society (IARS ) 2017 Annual Meeting and International Science Symposium Washington, DC. May 6-9 2017
- Dr. Isabella Epiu Global Maternal and Newborn Health Conference, Mexico City October 2015
- Dr. Isabella Epiu Kenya Society of Anaesthesia meeting, Eldoret Kenya. August 2015
- Dr. Isabella Epiu,Anaesthesia in LMICs, AAGBI Winter Scientific meeting,London, UK,January 2015
Dr. Isabella Epiu, Anaesthesia training in Uganda, Gulu .Uganda 2012
- Epiu, I; Tindimwebwa, JV; Mijimbi, C; Chokwe, T; Lugazia, E; Ndarugirire, F; Twagirumugabe, T; Dubowitz, G, Anaesthesia In Developing Countries; Value in Health Value in Health Vol 18 No. 7; 2015. Elsevier
- Epiu, Isabella; Tindimwebwa, Jossy Verel Bahe; Mijumbi, Cephas; Ndarugirire, Francois; Twagirumugabe, Theogene; Lugazia, Edwin Rwebusiga; Dubowitz, Gerald; Chokwe, Thomas M; 2016 Working towards safer surgery in Africa; a survey of utilization of the WHO safe surgical checklist at the main referral hospitals in East Africa; BMC anesthesiology BMC anesthesiology 16, 1, Page 60; 2016. BioMed Central
- Isabella Epiu; 2015 Prioritise anaesthesia on the health agenda New Vision http://www.newvision.co.ug/new_vision/news/1411624/prioritise-anaesthesia-health-agenda
- Epiu, Isabella; Tindimwebwa, Jossy Verel Bahe; Mijumbi, Cephas; Chokwe, Thomas M; Lugazia, Edwin; Ndarugirire, Francois; Twagirumugabe, Theogene; Dubowitz, Gerald; 2017 Challenges of Anesthesia in Low-and Middle-Income Countries: A Cross-Sectional Survey of Access to Safe Obstetric Anesthesia in East Africa. Anesthesia & Analgesia, Anesthesia & Analgesia, 124, 1, Page 290-299; 2017 LWW
- Isabella Epiu, MBCHB, MMED, Fellow in GLobal Health; Agnes MBChB, MMed Wabule; Andrew MBChB, MMed Kambugu; Harriet Kiiza Mayanja, MBChB, MMed; Jose Verel B. Tindimwebwa, MBChB, MMed; Gerald Dubowitz, 2017 Key bottlenecks to the provision of safe obstetric anaesthesia in low- income countries; a cross-sectional survey of 64 hospitals in Uganda BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth In press