Immunology of infectious diseases; anti-schistosome immunity development in children; praziquantel mass drug administration in school children to control schistosomiasis in western Kenya; effect of infection with schistosomiasis on vaccine responses in adults and children in western Kenya; investigation into possible development of praziquantel resistance in schistosome isolates from the field, and elucidation of possible gene polymorphisms underlying praziquantel resistance. Hepatitis C/HIV co-infections and metabolic consequences in injection drug users in the coastal region of Kenya.
Collaborations: Kenya Medical Research Institute’s Center for Global Health Research (KEMRI-CGHR) in Kisumu, University of Georgia’s Center for Tropical and Emerging Global Diseases (UGA-CTEGD), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Harrison K. Korir, Diana K. Riner, Emmy Kavere, Amos Omondi, Jasmine Landry, Nupur Kittur, Eric M. Ndombi, Bartholomew N. Ondigo, W. Evan Secor, Diana M. S. Karanja and Daniel G. Colley. Young Adults in Endemic Areas: An Untreated Group in Need of School-Based Preventive Chemotherapy for Schistosomiasis Control and Elimination. Trop. Med. Infect. Dis. 2018, 3, 100; doi:10.3390/tropicalmed3030100
- Bartholomew N. Ondigo, Erick M. O. Muok1, John K. Oguso, Sammy M. Njenga, Henry M. Kanyi, Eric M. Ndombi, Jeffrey W. Priest, Nupur Kittur, William Evan Secor, Diana M. S. Karanja and Daniel G. Colley. Impact of Mothers’ Schistosomiasis Status During Gestation on Children’s IgG Antibody Responses to Routine Vaccines 2 Years Later and Anti-Schistosome and Anti-Malarial Responses by Neonates in Western Kenya. Front. Immunol., 18 June 2018 https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2018.01402
- Bernard O. Abudho, Eric M. Ndombi, Bernard Guya, Jennifer M. Carter, Diana K. Riner, Nupur Kittur, Diana M. S.Karanja, W. Evan Secor and Daniel G.Colley. Impact of Four Years of Annual Mass Drug Administration on Prevalence and Intensity of Schistosomiasis among Primary and High School Children in Western Kenya: A Repeated Cross-sectional Study. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2018.17-0908. Doi:10.4269/ajtmh
- Eric M. Ndombi, Bernard Abudho, Nupur Kittur, Harrison Korir, Diana K. Riner, W. Evan Secor, Diana Karanja and Daniel G. Colley; Effect of Rour Rounds of Annual School-Wide Mass Praziquantel Treatment for Schistosoma Mansoni Control on Schistosome-Specific Immune Responses. Parasite Immunol. 31 March 2018. https://doi.org/10.1111/pim.12530
- Bartholomew N. Ondigo, Eric M. Ndombi, Sarah C. Nicholson, John K. Oguso, Jennifer M. Carter, Nupur Kittur, W. Evan Secor, Diana M.S. Karanja and Daniel G. Colley. Functional studies of T regulatory lymphocytes in human schistosomiasis in western Kenya. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 98:6, Jun 2018, 1770 – 1781. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4269/ajtmh.17-0966
- Diana K. Riner, Eric M. Ndombi, Jennifer M. Carter, Amos Omondi, Nupur Kittur, Emmy Kavere, Harrison K. Korir, Briana Flaherty, Diana Karanja, Daniel G. Colley; Schistosoma mansoni infection can jeopardize the duration of protective levels of antibody responses to immunizations against hepatitis B and tetanus toxoid. PLOS NTDs 2016. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0005180
- Eric M. Ndombi, Budambula Valentine, Mark W. Kilongosi, Francis O. Musumba, Joseph Karanja, Jesca O. Wesongah, Samwel A. Bonuke, Aabid A Ahmed, Raphael Lihana, and Tom Were; Plasma Adiponectin Levels in Hepatitis C and HIV-1 Mono- and Co-Infected Antiretroviral Treatment Naive and Exposed Injection Drug Users from Coastal Kenya. Endocrine connections journal 2015. doi: 10.1530/EC-15-0071
- th-29th 2015 American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (ASTMH) annual meeting 2015, The Marriott Philadelphia downtown, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. Oral presentation: Effect of Mass Drug Administration with Praziquantel on Anti-Schistosome Immune Responses in School Children from Western Kenya
- June 23rd-26th 2015 Federation of Clinical Immunological Societies Annual meeting (FOCIS 2015), Hilton Bayfront, San Diego, California, USA. Oral presentation: Effect of one round of mass drug administration on immune correlates of protection against schistosomiasis in school children from western Kenya
- Dec 10-11th 2014, 8th Neglected Tropical Diseases Conference, Soverign Hotel, Kisumu; Oral presentation: Impact of schistosomiasis and soil transmitted helminths on vaccine-induced immune responses
- Dec 7th-9th 2014, Ruggero Ceppellini Advanced School of Immunology; Maternal immune system in pregnancy course; Castellammare di Stabia (Naples), Italy.
- Dec 1st-4th 2014 9th Federation of African Immunological Societies (FAIS) Conference, Safari Park Hotel, Kenya; Oral presentation: Anti-schistosome immune responses in school children in Western Kenya before and after mass drug administration with praziquantel”